Today a upgraded one of my clients DNN site from DNN 5.0.2 to DNN 5.2.3. The reason fro this upgrade was a strange bug on the HTML module that was making characters (á, é, í, ó, ú and other Spanish characters) show up as “?”
Yeah, very weird. So after doing some research and posting the problem under the DNN Forum, it was advise that I upgrade the site.
I first installed a clean DNN 5.2.3 installation and tested to see if the HTML module actually was fixed to handle the issue above. Since everything seem to be working fine, I proceeded with the upgrade.
This are the steps I took to accomplished. (Have some trouble at first so I leaving some breadcrumbs for future users). These instructions are simply a guide. There are many out there. Please follow careful and don’t scream at me if they don’t work for you. They did for me.
- PLEASE DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP
Backup your files/database before upgrading to a new version
- Download the Upgrade package from DNN website
- Unzip and copy the contents (Folders and Files) to override your existing DNN application
- Rename your old “web.config” file to something like “web.config.backup“
- Rename the “release.config” file to “web.config” file
- With both files open “web.config” and “web.config.backup” copy from “web.config.backup” the following sections
bla bla bla bla bla
- <add key=”SiteSqlServer” value=”Data Source=SERVERIP;Initial Catalog=DBNAME;User ID=USERID;Password=PASSWORD” />
- Note: I left this setting <add key=”AutoUpgrade” value=”true” /> unchanged. So my login information for Admin and Host was not working until I copied this settings from the “web.config.backup”
<machineKey validationKey=”bla bla bla bla bla” decryptionKey=”bla bla bla bla bla” decryption=”bla bla bla bla bla” validation=”bla bla bla bla bla” />
- Finally, simply browse to localhost/DotNetNuke_Community (or whatever you have used for your url) in your web browser. The application will automatically execute the necessary database scripts and provide feedback in the browser
This work fine with me. My skin, content and data remained unchanged. But most importantly…it fixed the “?” issue. I hope it helps someone else out there.